Monday 30 December 2013

Buffy The Vampire Slayer, "Anne" Review (3x01)

Brief Synopsis: "It is the end of summer vacation, and Buffy is still missing. Willow, Xander, Oz, and Cordelia are attempting to keep the Sunnydale vampire population under control during Buffy's absence, however their success is limited. They miss having the Slayer around, but more than that they miss their friend. Meanwhile, Buffy has been working as a waitress in L.A., going by her middle name, ‘Anne’, and trying to forget her old life. But, of course, someone always needs the Slayer's help, and this time it’s someone from Buffy’s past...”



"Becoming Part One & Two" (2x21 & 2x22) quick link here                                         "Dead Man's Party" (3x02) quick link here


Two quick notes before we get started...

1)    I will be reviewing the episodes in bullet point form. This is because it makes the reviews simple to read, and helps break up the text.
2)    If you are watching the show for the first time along with these reviews, please be warned that there may be a few spoilers for things that haven’t happened yet.

With that being said, let’s get started, shall we? 




We’ve reached season three of the reviews. A season including The Mayor, another new Slayer, the introduction of Anya, the Wishverse, the only true Christmas episode of “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”, and the graduation of the Scoobies. Season three is my personal favourite Buffy season. I just adore it. It’s the closest you can get to television perfection. This is the only season where there isn’t a single episode that I find average or mildly boring. I love them all. I can’t think of another season of any television show that I have ever watched that can boast such a consistently high quality throughout an entire season. Perhaps ‘Sherlock’...but they’re only 3-episode seasons, so it’s much easier to accomplish.
With that being said, this is one of my least favourite episodes of the season. Don’t get me wrong, I still think the episode is very good, I just prefer most of the others this season. I hold this episode in my least favourite four of the season, along with “Dead Man’s Party”, “Faith, Hope & Trick”, and “Choices”.
Willow’s hair is shorter. I think it looks better this way than it did when it was really long. Willow looks like an entirely different person. Alyson actually cut her hair for her role of Michelle in the original American Pie film, but I think it works perfectly for Willow’s character growth this season as well. The shy, bullied, insecure Willow of the past two seasons disappears over the next 22 episodes. What emerges instead is a strong, confident, magic-possessing Willow. It’s not only Willow’s hair that supports this change in her personality. Her dress sense also changes dramatically. There’s more confidence this season in the clothes that Willow wears. Less dungarees, more brightly coloured clothes that will attract attention (which Willow tried to avoid like the plague previously). Like this little baby...




Sorry, sorry...I got distracted by all the leather. I am aware that this isn’t actually our Willow, but a vampire version from another universe.

I think it’s safe to say that Oz won’t be winning any awards for his stake-throwing abilities any time soon. He missed vampire Andrew by such a wide mark that I can only assume he was intentionally trying to stake the bad headstone.
As I’ve established previously, I am a fan of ‘Bangel’. However, Buffy’s dream sequences in this episode are so angsty and cheesy that I can’t help but laugh. I know I shouldn’t laugh, as it’s all tied up in Buffy’s mental state at having to kill Angel to save the world. Not only does Buffy feel guilty, but she also misses her former boyfriend. For a few seconds Buffy had the real Angel back. She had her boyfriend back. Then she had to make with the stabby-stab. I can empathise with her predicament. However...”If I was blind, I would see you”...someone hand me a tissue and a vomit bucket simultaneously. Cheesy like Sunday morning.




Some of the shots of external Los Angeles that are used in this episode are later used again for the opening title sequence of ‘Angel’. It is L.A., so it’s perfectly acceptable to do so.
New Buffy theme! Nerf Herder re-recorded the Buffy theme for season three so that it was tighter and smoother, as previously they went slightly off-beat during the middle section of the song. I prefer the older, grittier version myself.
Was anyone else rooting for Buffy to slay the sleazy guy in the diner that slapped her ass? Misogynistic douchebag deserved to be slayed.
Chanterelle is back! Chanterelle appeared in season two’s “Lie To Me”, where she was obsessed with vampires and wanted to become one. After seeing Spike and some other vampires in the flesh, she decided to change her ways. Chanterelle flees Sunnydale and starts a new life for herself in Los Angeles, where she goes by the name of ‘Lily’. Her new life isn’t going well at all. She’s homeless and living meal-to-meal with her boyfriend Ricky. By the end of this episode Ricky will be old news (see what I did there?) and Lily will have changed her name to Buffy’s middle name, ‘Anne’. Keep an eye out for ‘Anne’ in Angel’s second and fifth seasons. Also, Julia Lee is an absolutely amazing actress that really brings the role of Chanterelle/Lily/Anne to life.

Larry: “This is our year!  I'm telling you, best football season ever. I'm so in shape, I'm a rock. It's all about egg whites. We got Garrity at running back, Dale at QB. If we can focus, keep disciplined…and not have quite as many mysterious deaths, Sunnydale is gonna rule!”

Good luck with having no mysterious deaths in Sunnydale, Larry. I’m sure it’ll work out perfectly for you. You’ll be swept off your feet with positivity by the end of the school year (give yourself 10 points if you get my pun-believable wit).

I don’t recall ever seeing so many students in the library as there are during the first scene of this episode that takes place in the library. Does everybody need books for the new school year?
I like the choice to have Oz fail his senior year (in a weird sort of way). It gives us the extremely convenient ability to keep him around the Scoobies for another year and strengthen his relationship with Willow. Let’s face it, Willow and Oz are easily the most adorable and stable relationship on the show in the first three seasons. Granted, they do break up temporarily after the ridiculous affair with Xander (Willow, not Oz), but we’ll gloss over that stupid decision for now.
Xander and Cordelia are so damn awkward. They were never going to work as a couple. I do appreciate them as a couple, as it makes a certain amount of sense that they would be attracted to each other, but they were far too different at this time in their lives to ever work. Here’s a funny thing to consider...if the Cordelia of Angel season two/three met the Xander of Buffy season five/six, would they have worked? It’s a lot more likely. They both grow from characters that are immature and self-centred to being arguably the most noble, loyal person of their respective groups. It’s a shame that they never got to see how much the other one had grown.
It’s such an interesting change of pace to have more than half an episode take place in somewhere other than Sunnydale. For the first two seasons we’ve never really ventured out of Sunnydale at all (except for flashbacks), as the show centres around the lives of the Scooby Gang, who all live in Sunnydale. This season instantly has a different feel to it due to the difference of location. After the events of “Becoming Part Two”, it should feel different. The whole dynamic of the show has changed. Buffy has grown up a lot mentally. She’s lost her innocence. The rest of the Scoobies have had to grow up (except Xander, but he’s always been a little behind the rest) in order to fight vampires and demons in Buffy’s absence. The fate of the world is resting on their shoulders whilst Buffy is away fixing her mental state.
Carlos Jacott! Another fantastic actor. Interestingly, he’s the first person to appear in “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”, “Angel”, and “Firefly”. In all three shows he plays a nice guy that turns out to be a ‘bad guy’. What a chameleon.
Bellylove’s song “Back To Freedom”, which plays at The Bronze when Willow and Xander are mopey, is a beautiful and terribly depressing song. Quite memorable though. I can’t overstate how much the music of “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” has affected my life. From the songs played at The Bronze, to the musical scores, to the songs that play in general, it always seems to work.

Giles: “Joyce, you mustn’t blame yourself for her leaving.”
  Joyce: “I don’t, I blame you.”

Ouch. I completely understand Joyce’s point of view here. Joyce knows almost nothing about Buffy being the Slayer (as far as we’re aware), except what Buffy told her in “Becoming Part Two”. It’s not made apparent as to whether or not Giles has filled Joyce in on more of the details over the summer. Joyce is feeling betrayed in this episode. Her daughter has been living this secret second-life for years, and she was completely unaware. All of Buffy’s friends knew about it, and Joyce didn’t. She’s also angry at herself for not noticing that something so important was going on in her daughter’s life for all those years. If I were in Joyce’s shoes, I’d be looking for someone to blame too. However, as the viewers have all the facts, we know that Giles is in no way to blame for any of this. All he’s ever done is love Buffy and look out for Buffy. The interesting thing about this entire episode is that nobody is in the wrong here. It’s just a matter of circumstance. Is Joyce wrong for blaming Giles? I don’t think so. Is Buffy wrong for running away? Not really. “Anne” is basically just dealing with the repercussions of season two. Not just the finale, but the entire season that built up to it. “Dead Man’s Party” is the end of the repercussions being at the forefront of the show, and from “Faith, Hope & Trick” onwards, we look towards the future rather than the past. I think it was a great idea to take two episodes to deal with the repercussions. Everybody should be having a tough time. A lot of bad things happened last season. The characters needed time to grieve, argue, clear the air, and move on together. The same thing happens at the end of season four, after the Scoobies spend most of that year drifting apart.

Buffy is cold to Lily during the scene where she explains that Ricky is dead. We’ve seen snippets of Buffy’s bitchy side before in the season two opener, “When She Was Bad”. Why is Buffy always so mean in the opener? Does the summer heat make her cranky? Buffy’s clearly still having major issues over killing Angel. When Buffy is telling Lily to move on because she has to face life without Ricky now, she’s also talking to herself. Buffy has to face the reality that Angel is gone and there’s nothing that she can do now except try to move past it. It’s a lesson that Buffy doesn’t truly learn until the end of “Faith, Hope & Trick”, which of course means that Angel returns right after. What’s life without a little emotional complexity, eh Whedon? It’s an interesting parallel to how Angel lives once he regains his soul (the first time). Buffy ran away from her life, cut herself off from society, and was just drifting through life. When Angel first regained his soul, he spent a hundred years cut-off from society, and just drifting through life. These two characters are a lot more similar than they are different. Both walk in two worlds but belong in neither. I think that’s why I don’t have trouble buying them as a romantic pairing. It seems like a natural fit.
Buffy runs away from Sunnydale to escape her troubles. As the mission statement of this show is all about fighting through the rough times in life, trouble inevitably finds Buffy while she’s in Los Angeles. Enter Ken. He’s loathsome, he’s eerie...even his voice is creepy. I think it’s a realistic representation of Los Angeles to have someone who pretends to be kind and claims that they can change your life...only for them to turn out to be something different to what they claimed. I’m not trying to say that everyone in L.A. is like that, but it’s certainly true of some people.
Cordelia: “Where do I hide?”
   Xander: “You don’t hide, you’re bait. Go act baity.”
Buffy:  “I’m dirty. I’m bad...with the sex, and the envy, and that loud music us kids listen to nowadays.”
I remember thinking when I first saw this episode....”Something’s weird about Ken. He’s clearly evil. An evil human...interesting...wait, wait, WAIT! HIS FACE JUST CAME OFF!
The set for Ken’s slave universe is spectacular. It’s dark, it’s flamey, and it’s beautiful. You can tell that the show had a bigger budget for season three. It’s not so darkly lit anymore, the CGI is better, and the overall quality has vastly improved.
Xander and Cordy’s big kiss was probably my favourite moment of the episode. It was so funny. Xander stakes a vampire, which Cordelia was on top of. The vampire dusts, Cordelia lands on Xander, and flailing kiss ensues. Who said romance is dead.
Ken: “He forgot you. It took him a long time. He remembered your name years after he’d forgotten his own, but in the end…”

For some reason I find that line so powerful. Caring about someone so much that you forget your entire identity before you forget theirs.

Mean Villainy Dude: “Who are you?”
  Buffy: “I’m Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, and you are?”

This episode was totally worth it for that line alone. That’s the moment where Buffy found herself again after losing Angel. It’s such a big moment for her character. There’s a drastic change in her personality from this point on, and she is more like the Buffy that we all know and love. I think she realised just what a dark place she’d been in over the summer and decided that she needed to change in order to evolve.

The fight between Buffy and Ken’s guards is one of the best that the show has done thus far. The set certainly helps, but the actual fighting itself looked much more realistic than it did during the first two seasons for the most part.
Ken’s death was, erm, interesting. I’m going to go with ‘interesting’. Metal spikes through the legs, then Buffy’s impression of Gandhi...

Buffy: “Hey Ken, wanna see my impression of Gandhi?”
*splat*
Lily: “Gandhi?”
Buffy: “Well, ya know, if he was really pissed off.”

I wonder if Buffy ever did call and check up on Lily/Anne? It would have been a nice touch of continuity for Anne to mention Buffy when she appears on ‘Angel’. Even if she didn’t mention her by name.
Joyce’s face as she sees Buffy standing outside the front door...*tries to pick up the pieces of my shattered heart off the floor*. I can’t...I can’t piece it back together... 
To sum up, this episode definitely worked as a season opener. I’m only ever looking for two big things in a season opener of a show... 1) Some form of emotional continuity from the end of the previous season. 2) A glimpse into where the show is going after the resolution of the previous season. This episode ticks both of those boxes. It’s one of the best openers of “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”.


Quote Of The Episode

Buffy: “I don't want any trouble. I just want to be alone and quiet, in a room with a chair, and a fireplace, and a tea cosy. I don’t even know what a tea cosy is, but I want one. Instead I keep getting trouble, which I am more than willing to share. What are you doing with these kids?”



Buffy mentioned a tea cosy twice. As an Englishman, I feel obligated to choose this quote as my “Quote Of The Episode” for the tea cosy alone.



FINAL SCORE: 7/10


So what are your thoughts on "Anne"? Did you enjoy this episode? Dislike it? Let me know all your thoughts in the comments section below!

If you've enjoyed this review, please use the conveniently placed buttons just below to share it on Blogger, Google+, Twitter, Facebook, or email it to a friend! It is greatly appreciated.

11 comments:

  1. Good season opener one of the better ones. I like how this time the stress was too much for our heroine. So much so that she ran away. Interesting that this was the season 3 opener. You'd think the PTSD of actually being dead if only for a few minutes at the end of season 1 would prompt her to run away and shirk her duties.Or season 6... but I'm getting ahead of myself. Anyways what this ep said to me is "One cannot run away from one's problems because where ever you go, there you are." It also shed a bit of light on the plight of run away or throw away kids. Nice to see Chanterelle/Lily/Anne again. I love peripheral character continuity. Wish we could have seen more of them. I would have loved to have seen Michael (the witch) that was hunted by his dad and dad's friends in Gingerbread, again. There I go again with the digression. Anywho it seems C/L/A is trying to get a fresh start with a new moniker, bf and town but is still immature and weak willed. Nice to see Willow take over the role as leader of the Scoobies. Kudos to Oz for his stake throwing, nice to see he "failed' his senior year to spend time with Willow. AWWW! Loved the interaction between Joyce and Giles. One of the few sadly. I loved these two together and find it ironic that in the end she had a closer friendship with SPIKE than Giles. Perhaps if Joyce KNEW that her daughter actually died (albeit briefly) saving the world she may have had a better understanding of what Buffy was going through and NOT blamed Giles. In a way I blame Joyce for saying, "If you walk out that door don't even think about coming back." Considering that all Buffy wanted to do, as she stated, was be upstairs talking on the phone, hang with friends or do homework. But she had to go out and save the world. I'm paraphrasing but I hope my point is taken. Considering that Buffy did just that Joyce's words cut to the quick. This and the fact that she had to kill her bf, had just been expelled and in the end NO ONE physically had her back probably put Buffster in a pretty bad mood by the time she met up with C/L/A, someone who had a hand in trying to kill her. She took out her aggression Cordy style by telling her that Billy probably just ran off and she should try to forget and move on, something she was having trouble doing with Angel otherwise she wouldn't have run away in the first place. Ken is the example of the predatory pimp and or human trafficker, a term society didn't use at the time. I loved how this ep kinda mirrored Becoming II. Buffy single handedly saving the world, well the world of the teens forced to work in the cesspool world. I love how despite all attempts by Ken et al to get her to disregard her identity the great line:
    Mean Villainy Dude: “Who are you?”
    Buffy: “I’m Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, and you are?”
    The look on the MVD's face when she didn't cower and answer "I'm Nobody"... PRICELESS. This wasn't the best ep by far in season 3 but it wasn't the worst either. I personally disagree with admin about his choices. I loved Faith, Hope and Trick and Choices. Although Dead Man's Party was stupid it did give the core four a chance to air their feelings about Buffy's disappearance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok... consults notes... yes, I have taken to writing notes as I read the review otherwise I can't remember the good stuff I want to talk about!!

    Ok. First. Oh Willow in leather. I think I would turn gay for you. Anyway, I do love the more confident Willow we get as a result.

    Oh Oz, your stake-throwing skills leave much to be desired. I honestly thought he was going to get the vamp - I mean he is part werewolf shouldn't he have great coordination and aim??

    Bahahaha, "Make with the stabby-stab" This made my day! As much as my cheese convo today too. And speaking of cheese, I love that grater pic, it never fails to amuse me!

    Hmm, I never noticed the LA shots. Something to look out for next time!

    Oh I so wanted Buffy to deck that sleaze bag in the face. I understand that she was going for "normal girl" but she is The Slayer, she won't ever be normal.

    Yay!!! Chantrelle!!! Wait, Yay Lily!!! As soon as I saw her I got super excited but then couldn't remember her name. Then got confused because, wait your name wasn't Lily, I know that much. Then I googled and yay! One and the same! And oh Ricky, so sad :(

    Haha, mysterious deaths. Oh Larry, you live in Sunnydale there will never be less, only more.

    Oh Cander. How I wish Cordy and Xander met up later and saw how much they both grew. It would have been awesome.

    Ooooh, hitting a nerve Cap'n. I hated Joyce in the instant that she said she blamed Giles for Buffy leaving. It is the only time I have hated her (albeit, only briefly, I loved her again by the end). It made me so angry. She was the one who said to Buffy "If you walk out that door don't even think about coming back." So really Buffy didn't run away. She was told not to come back if she went out the door. To save the world. Again. So, I blamed Joyce and it wasn't till the end of Anne that I forgave her.

    Eww, Ken, you voice IS creepy. And eww his face. Jeez, doesn't Buffy know it takes ages to glue it on?? Sheesh.

    Hahahahaha. "Go act baity" Actual lol at this.

    Oh Buffy: "I'm Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, and you are?" Oh the love I have for this and for Buffy in that instant. And for the ensuing fight scene. It is just marvellous.

    Ouch, I flinched and Ken's death scene. And grabbed my calves. and ouch.

    I always wonder why Anne never really mentioned Buffy much later on. Surely she made a connection between Angel and Buffy. Anyway - we have seemingly discussed this already... moving on...

    Oh Joyce. Your face. I thought at the start, Yes, you bloody should feel bad damn you. Then I cried because all was happy. Mostly.

    Oh tea cosies! I love the QOTE. That cracked me up. Also, tea cosies make great winter beanies if you find yourself lacking a beanie this winter. We used to steal Nana's all the time :) Evil children we were. But she loved us.

    I really wish we could post pictures in our comments. I made a pic about less mysterious deaths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so that *is* where Willow got that hat! D'C'A'

      Delete
  3. Anne is one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to say this but my least favorite part of this episode when Buffy throws a Baddie of the platform in the prison. You can clearly see the stunt mat where he lands. It kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remembering Lily's name was quasi-easy for Ricky, evne in the Hell of Ken, since he ahd her name on his arm. (And why didn't Buffy mention the tattoo whens he told Lily?)
    The factory set was an old newspaper printing room. They ahd to eb careful with water there because the ink residue gave out toxic fumes when wet.
    Sets the season's overt theme of Transitions and the alter theme of Identity quite well. D'C'A'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela Aranghelovici7 January 2014 at 16:04

    I love this episode and I think it's my favourite season opener. I agree with you, season 3 has no bad or average episode, they're all good or great. The only other season that achieves that for me is season 5, which I prefer to season 3, partly because of the villain (I love the Mayor and Glory equally, but I would have really liked them to do more with the Mayor, I just felt he wasn't in it enough!).
    However, oddly enough I consider seasons 2 and 6 to be my favourite but objectively speaking (if such a thing is possible) seasons 3 and 5 are probably the best.

    I love that the depiction of LA in this episode resembles closely the depiction of LA in Angel The Series (as it should, really). I sometimes think of this episode as an Angel episode rather than a BTVS, strangely enough. Anne is one of the best secondary characters from the Buffyverse and her scene with Gunn from Not Fade Away is one of the most inspirational bits from the show. I tear up everytime I watch that bit.

    I love your little scenario of what if mature Cordy and Xander had met, I think that would have been really interesting and something might have happened between them (provided Xander wasn't dating Anya though).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I love the cheese! Don't dizz it that's my favorite scene. Tissues yes, bucket Nooo! Bad shangal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just letting you know, in the first bullet point, I can tell you meant to say that there isn't a single episode this season that you found boring, but you accidentally said there isn't a single episode this season that you didn't find average or boring. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! Just amended the review!

      Thanks, Derrick! :D

      Delete
  9. This is one of my all time favourite episodes of whole show ( hush , family , tabula rasa ,the body) so I was curious as to you not being keen ,tho from the review I see that it’s a relative position . With this and family I often watch them as one offs as I find them near perfect tv . There is no line wasted in thi episode but as always I live the cutting , often used for a reverse gag but brilliantly used here for the switch from the noisy school to the absolute silence of Buffy’s life. I appreciate Buffy seems harsh in dealing with Lily but it’s because she’s in a very dark place but you can see in Smg’ s eyes that she’s knows she’s going to help anyway . She could always act about ten lines with one look. But the main reason I love this and family is the “ I’m Buffy who are you” which I find echoed in Buffy’s speech to Tara’s father , a girl who at this point she hardly knows , prob my favourite scene just for Tara’s lol sides smile alone. I appreciate the season gets more complex but for great storytelling,direction , great comedy this will always be in my top 5 . Cheers si

    ReplyDelete