Tuesday 19 November 2013

Buffy The Vampire Slayer, “Prophecy Girl" Review (1x12)

Brief Synopsis: “Giles discovers an ancient prophecy which states that Buffy will face The Master and she will die. Upon hearing this, Buffy breaks down and tries to quit her Slayer duties. But when vampires massacre a group of students on campus, she realises that she must face her destiny in order to save her friends, and the world.”

"Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight" (1x11) quick link here                                                           "When She Was Bad" (2x01) quick link here


Before getting started on this review, here are a few notes about how these reviews will be formatted...

1) I will be reviewing the episodes in bullet point form. This is because it makes the reviews simple to read, and helps break up the vast amount of text.
2) I will be uploading a new review every one or two days, so be sure to check back often! Alternatively, you could subscribe to the blog via email to receive the reviews in your inbox (the subscription box is located to the right-hand side of this blog).
3) If you are watching the show for the first time along with these reviews, please be warned that there may be a few spoilers for things that haven’t happened yet.
4) If you are here from my Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel fan page from Facebook (located here :- www.facebook.com/BTVSFC), these reviews are similar to the rewatch reviews that I wrote for that page, only they are longer, more detailed, and in a much nicer format than Facebook allows (curse their lack of italics, bold, and underline!)
5) The basic layout for the review will be the review itself, the ‘quote of the episode’, and then the final score for the episode (out of ten). All of the final scores will also be placed on a separate tab so that you can refer to them easily.

With that being said, let’s get started, shall we?



•    This episode is the climax of season one. It centres around Giles discovering a prophecy that Buffy will face The Master, and she will die. I cannot emphasise enough how important this episode was to “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”. If the finale to this season was bad, there probably wouldn’t have been a season two.
•    Season one was unique in that all 12 episodes were filmed before “Welcome To The Hellmouth” had aired.  This gave Joss Whedon and the actors the opportunity to go back and re-film scenes much later than they would ordinarily be able to. This definitely helped the season.
•    Willow’s face when Xander is practising asking Buffy to the dance is just too cute. Oh Willow, it shall not end well. Why is this episode so dramatic when it comes to love?! Buffy/Angel? Angsty. Xander-Willow? Heartbreaking. Buffy-Xander? Heartbreaking...fucking Whedon...you can always tell when he has written and directed an episode. It’s full of drama and heartache.
•    The fight between Buffy and the vampire in slow-motion is my favourite fight scene of season one. It’s just perfection! The slow-motion gave the fight a unique feel to it. Sarah Michelle Gellar’s facial acting was also phenomenal.
•    Giles: “The Master shall rise, and the Slayer shall die.”


Uh-oh. I must be honest, when I first watched this episode I figured that the writers would find a way around it. I was expecting the finale to play out like this: Drama, drama, drama, The Master gets free, Buffy does ultimately face The Master, but the Scoobies find a way around it and Buffy survives. This was when I was still deluded enough to think that Joss Whedon would write something with such a happy ending. The ending to this episode is happy, but it’s at the expense of half an hour of tears and turmoil. Joss’ way worked much better.


•    Earthquaaaaaaaake! Xander’s protection of Willow during the earthquake...effulgent-inducing.
•    Willow: “It’s the computer age, nerds are in.”
Fifteen years later, Willow couldn’t have been more right.
•    Don’t do it Xander, don’t ask Buffy out. It won’t end well...
•    Seriously, don’t do it, Xander.
•    The scene in which Xander asks out Buffy is the first of many in this episode that are hard to watch. Dating friends and having feelings for close friends is a very tricky business (speaking from a lot of personal experience, at least). Xander’s feelings for Buffy make perfect sense for his character. Xander is awkward, insecure, and has trouble talking to females. Buffy comes along and she’s a bona fide superhero. I think that Joss did a great job writing this scene. Buffy was honest with Xander, but also reiterated how important Xander’s friendship is to her, and Xander finally had his answer and could start to move on. A lot of underlying plot points from the first season get resolved in this conversation. Of course, Xander’s feelings for Buffy don’t go away for a few more years, but at least the issue is out in the open for the first time.
•    Xander: “I don’t handle rejection well. Funny, considering all the practise I’ve had.”


Must. Hug. Xander. Now.


•    ...told you not to ask Buffy out, Xander...
•    Another thing I love about that scene is that it doesn’t make Buffy the bad guy. Buffy did nothing wrong in this scenario. Buffy doesn’t have romantic feelings for Xander, so she said no (and reaffirmed how much Xander meant to her as a friend). I would imagine it must have been hard for Joss to write this scene without making Xander or Buffy come across as the bad guy.
•    This episode is the perfect example of just how much musical scores can add to an episode of television. They take the viewer on a journey. “Prophecy Girl” easily contains the greatest musical scores thus far.
•    It’s nice to see Jenny Calendar back. A cynical part of me expect her to disappear after “I Robot...You Jane” and never return again.
•    I completely support Willow’s decision to not go to the dance with Xander. Xander knows Willow is in love with him, he shouldn’t have asked. Xander getting rejected by Buffy was tough on him. Xander has always struggled with his self-esteem and his sense of self-worth. After Buffy rejected him his self-esteem was even lower than it was before. He was desperate to feel loved, to feel needed, so he decided to ask Willow to the dance because he knew she’d say yes...turns out Willow doesn’t want to be second best, and who can blame her? Willow has been in love with Xander since they were five! At the beginning of this episode she sat there listening to Xander practise asking Buffy to the dance so that she could daydream that Xander was asking her! I understand that Xander was upset, but he should never, ever have asked Willow to go to the dance. Even as friends.


•    Blood from the taps. Where’s a plumber when you need one? (This is the writing equivalent of the nervous chuckle before an awkward conversation. I know what scene comes next).
•    As good as the Buffy-Xander-Willow feelings-fest is, it is overshadowed by the greatest part of the episode; the prophecy that Buffy will die at the hands of The Master and Buffy’s subsequent reaction to hearing that news.
•    Buffy finding out that she will die, and the scene that follows, is my favourite scene of season one. No other scene comes close. It’s the best acted scene, the most emotionally intense scene, and the most heartbreaking scene of season one. Check out the “Quote Of The Episode” section of the review for the full conversation.
•    Buffy: “Do you think it’ll hurt?”
Heartbreaking. Nothing else to say. I’m not too manly to admit that I teared up during that line...again. It’s such an innocent question to ask. It really drives home the point that Buffy is sixteen years old, and the amount of pressure and expectation that she’s had on her shoulders for so long is ridiculous! No sixteen-year-old should have to ask such questions.
•    Buffy: “I’m sixteen years old, I don’t want to die.”


How did Sarah Michelle Gellar not win more awards for her acting on “Buffy The Vampire Slayer”?! This scene is some of the finest acting I’ve seen from a teenager in my life. The primary theme of season one is Buffy struggling to balance being the Slayer and trying to lead a more normal life. This is Buffy’s tipping point. She doesn’t want to be the Slayer. She doesn’t want to die. When she arrived in Sunnydale she was retired from slaying. She throws Angel’s cross necklace to the ground and walks away from her responsibilities. 


•    Joss has stated many times that he doesn’t know a lot about science. He doesn’t know how or why things work. When he can’t figure out a logical reason for something, he uses the excuse “because of the Hellmouth”. However, what Joss does better than anyone I’ve ever seen before is drawing emotion out of people. Joss’ television shows have made me laugh, smile, cry, and scream more than any other. This scene is the perfect example of that. Most shows would have been content with Buffy finding out the prophecy and going to confront The Master. Joss takes an entirely different approach and decides to show the entire conversation between Buffy, Giles, and Angel. He did this to invoke a reaction out of the audience, and boy did it work!
•    The entire scene was just lightning in a bottle! Everything worked! The attention to detail from Sarah here was first-class. Buffy almost exhibits all of the five stages of grief in one scene! Buffy starts with nervous laughter, then jumps into denial, then to anger, to bargaining, to depression. The only thing left is acceptance. Go and find another nineteen-year-old actress that can do a better job than Sarah did in this scene, I dare you.
•    The scene where Joyce shows Buffy the dress that she’s bought her is so wonderful. Joyce is my favourite TV mother ever. Does she make mistakes? Absolutely. Especially season two. However, she knows her daughter so well and has such a strong love for Buffy that I can’t help but love her. Joyce could sense that something was wrong, and tried to cheer her daughter up without asking Buffy what was wrong. Joyce was giving Buffy the space to come to her, which is so much better than demanding answers.
•    Joyce: “Is it written somewhere?”


...actually, yes...


•    I like Buffy’s dress.
•    After Joyce explaining how she met Hank, I want more Joyce backstory, and I want it now.
•    Don’t open the door, Willow! Didn’t you see the bloody handprint on the TV?!
•    The shock value in that scene is high. Killing an entire room full of teenagers, and showing the bodies (accompanied by blood) made for a great surprise! It took a lot of guts to go with such a graphic scene (especially with Buffy’s target audience), but again, it made the episode so much more memorable. Killing a group of teenagers is shocking. Killing them in Sunnydale High School whilst they’re innocently watching TV is much, much worse.
•    Next heartbreaking scene: Willow crying and talking to Buffy about how the vampires made the school their world and that they had fun. Alyson was flawless in this scene. The quality of acting from everyone is so good in this episode! Willow has never had her personal life affected by vampires so much before. Suddenly vampires became a more real threat to Willow. Sure she lost Jesse at the beginning of the season, but it was never established how close they were. Willow’s tears in this scene are the final thing that Buffy needs to convince herself that she can’t just let The Master rise and the Hellmouth open.


•    Bless you, Giles! Bless you for trying to go and face The Master in Buffy’s place. Giles already has such a fatherly love for Buffy. Giles was prepared to face The Master (and almost definitely die) to save Buffy from the fate that is mentioned in the prophecy. Of course, Joss wrote this episode, so it quickly descents into childish squabbling between Giles and Buffy. The scene ends with Buffy punching Giles (bad Buffy!) and reclaiming her cross necklace. This signifies Buffy once again picking up the mantle of ‘Slayer’, and accepting her fate. While we’re on the subject...
•    Buffy Anne Summers, you do not punch Giles! He gets knocked out enough! How he doesn’t have brain damage by the end of season seven I’ll never know.  I swear, one of these days he’s going to wake up in a coma...
•    Xander going to Angel for help was unexpected, but a superb edition to the episode! It’s no secret that Xander loathes Angel. He only goes to Angel for help because he knows that Angel can find The Master. My favourite part of the scene is when Xander explains all this to Angel. Xander does something that he doesn’t do enough in the first three seasons when it comes to Angel...he puts his own feelings aside for the greater good. Xander does not do that in “Becoming”, Xander does not do that in “Revelations”....this is one of very few times where Xander does the nobler thing. The only other time I can think of when he does this is “Amends”, where he offers to help Buffy research what is haunting Angel. In this episode, Xander has been rejected and feels humiliated, yet he goes out of his way to get help from someone he hates because he is desperate to save Buffy.


•    Amidst all this chaos and heartache, you just know that Joss is sitting in a rocking chair somewhere, smiling gleefully at the depression he’s causing to everyone watching. I’ve got a theory that (it’s a demon, a dancing demon...no, something isn’t right there) every time someone cries at a Joss show, he becomes stronger and more powerful than before. Think about it...his career sky-rocketing, The Avengers? Tell me I’m wrong.
•    Xander: “You were checking out my neck!”
Gold. Comedy gold. More Xander and Angel buddy-cop scenes, please.
•    I find so many parallels between Buffy and Harry Potter. Like Harry, Buffy has had to sacrifice a lot this season in order to make the world a safer place. Both characters willingly walk to their death in order to save everyone else. Buffy knows that the Anointed One will take her to The Master, and she also knows that The Master will kill her, yet she goes anyway because she has to try to stop The Master from rising. Buffy’s nobility is often overlooked by the fandom. Perhaps it’s because she becomes more about ‘the greater good’ after being resurrected in “Bargaining Par t One”.
•    The Master: “You’re the one that sets me free. If you hadn’t come, then I couldn’t go. Think about that.”


Way to kick us when we’re down, Joss!


•    Dear Mr. Master, you’re not allowed to like Buffy’s dress. You just killed her. You are officially banned from compliments, ‘kay?
•    It’s a good job Xander went with Angel, isn’t it? What a convenient plot point. Breathing is an underrated pleasure.
•    Buffy’s alive again! You had me worried there for a moment...also, hi Kendra! Welcome to the team. For those of you that asked (and this gets asked on a weekly basis), Buffy’s death in “The Gift” doesn’t activate a new Slayer because of this episode. Buffy died here and Kendra was called. Kendra is the Slayer. Buffy is an anomaly that shouldn’t exist. Buffy is technically no longer a part of the Slayer line. So when Buffy dies in “The Gift”, no replacement is called because Buffy isn’t the true Slayer, Faith is. If Faith had died a new Slayer would have been called.
•    Cordy saves the day. CORDY SAVES THE DAY! This is the first time I feel like she’s a member of the Scooby Gang and not just bitchy comedic relief.
•    The Hellmouth is in the library! Having the Hellmouth be in the centre of the Scoobies’ universe was perfect. There isn’t another place in Sunnydale that I can think of that would have been a more suitable choice.


•    I get so much joy from the Buffy theme being playing over the top of a confident Buffy walking towards Sunnydale High School. It’s one of those empowering moments that makes you “whoop” loudly at the television and scream “that’s my Buffy!”...just me?...
•    Cordelia shall forever be dear to my heart for biting that vampire’s hand. She is so sassy.
•    Buffy: “I may be dead, but I’m still pretty...which is more than I can say for you.”
Buffy: 1, The Master: 0.
•    FRUIT PUNCH MOUTH! Greatest insult since Cordelia’s “Do I hone in on your private conversations? No. Why? Because you’re boring.”
•    The Master: “Where are your jibes now? Will you laugh when my Hell is on Earth?”
Buffy: “You’re that amped about Hell? *Buffy grabs The Master by the throat*...go there!”
•    The Master’s death was spectacular, but I’d have loved for the fight to go a bit longer! It was A whole season of build-up for that fight?!  I know The Master was all about psychology and mind-control, but I would have loved to see more of an actual fight before Buffy threw The Master down onto a conveniently placed giant piece of wood.
•    Buffy: “It’s just been a really weird day...”
Xander: “Yeah, Buffy died and everything.”
Willow: “Wow, harsh.”
Giles: “I should’ve known that wouldn’t stop you.”


You know why I love this exchange? It’s the ‘core four’ talking. Angel, Cordy, and Jenny are there, but it’s the core four that really appreciate the magnitude of what just happened.


•    I believe that the filming of season one finished before they knew if they’d have a second season, so they ended it in a way that closed out the story if they weren’t picked up for a second season.
•    To conclude, this episode was superb. It was vastly superior to anything that came before it. For a first season, “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” did a good job. It was cheesy in parts, it was downright embarrassing in parts (I’m looking at you, “I Robot...You Jane”), but overall the first twelve episodes told a fantastic story. The main four characters have been developed well (especially Buffy, Xander, and Willow), Cordelia has had some character development since “Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight”, Angel has grown into more than just ‘Hot guy #2’, and many of the stories that were told this season worked well. However, season one is my least favourite season, so get ready for things to get significantly better in season two! Spike, Drusilla, Oz, and Angelus will join the Buffyverse!



Quote Of The Episode

Buffy: “So that's it, huh? My time is up. I remember the drill. ‘One Slayer dies, the next is called.’ I wonder who the next one is? Are you gonna train her? Or will they send someone else?...”


Giles: “Buffy, I...”


Buffy: “Does it say how he's gonna kill me? Do you think it'll hurt?...Don't touch me! Were you guys even gonna tell me?”


Giles: “I was hoping I wouldn't have to. That there was some way around it.”


Buffy: “I've got a way around it. I quit.”


Angel: “It's not that simple.”


Buffy: “I'm making it that simple! I quit! I resign! I'm fired! Someone else can stop the Master from taking over.”


Giles: “I don't know that anyone else can. The signs all indicate...”


Buffy: “The signs?! Read me the signs! Tell me my fortune! You're so useful, sitting around with your books. You're really a lot of help!”


Giles: “No, I don't suppose I am...”


Angel: “I know this is hard...”


Buffy: “What do you know about it? You're never gonna die.”


Angel: “You think I want anything to happen to you? Do you think I could stand it? We just have to figure out a way...”


Buffy: “I already have. I quit, remember? Pay attention!”


Giles: “Buffy, if the Master rises...”


Buffy: “I don't care! I don't care. Giles, I'm sixteen years old...I don't wanna die.”





FINAL SCORE: 9.5/10



So what are your thoughts on "Prophecy Girl"? Did you enjoy this episode? Dislike it? Let me know all your thoughts in the comments section below!  

11 comments:

  1. This episode ensured Buffy got renewed for Season 2 and what a job Season 2 did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waaa!! Oh this ep just gets me everytime, especially Buffy's "I don't wanna die" speech

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Episode was simply Epic and one of my favorites of the season! I love it. There are so many feels in this episode and its crazy. I rewatch it now and it still hold up like the All Time Classic that it is. You are not the only one who Cheers when Buffy is walking like a Boss Threw Sunnydale while the Opening Theme Song plays in the background. It's one of the highlights in the episode because You can See that She has Changed. She is the Slayer now and The Most Powerful and Special of them all. She is The Ultimate Badass. "What can I say. I flunked the written." I love that line. Cordelia definitely becomes more Heroic this season but she still has some growing to do. Thankfully There is the Spin Off Angel to set things right. I adore this episode and I think your rating is fair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The music this ep., all season actually but especially here is very much -classic-mosnter-film style; it gradually becomes more, what's the word, contemporary-sounding as later seasons go by . D'C'A'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, since Angel doesn't need oxygen, his air should theoretically be better thaN Xander's to revive someone. I guess it's one of those places where magick and the natural world intersect - in a magickal world, dead things can't restore life. D'C'A'

      Delete
  5. Great review! :D You make a lot of really good points and as a Buffyverse fan, there very cool to read. I agree, this was one of the best- if not the best- episodes of season 1. And yes, Sarah Michelle Gellar's acting in that scene where she 'quits' was very, very well acted- I remember being very impressed with her caliber of skill when I first watched the episode.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I think this score is too high. The episode has many good points, mainly consigned to the first parts of the episode. Buffy's "I don't wanna die" is especially affecting.

    However, after Buffy is revived, the end of the episode is pretty poor. The music over the walk-through-town is cringeworthy, and the action at the end isn't amazing (too much screaming). However, still one of the few great episodes of S1. I would say something around 7.5-8/10.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Willow's reaction to the room full of her dead classmates is the point at which she begins to realize she has to help Buffy in her fight against evil. Her ultimate decision happens when she decides to go to UC Sunnydale instead of away to college, but this scene is the beginning of her determination to help.

    I think the biggst ways Buffy and Harry Potter differ are Harry never turns his back on his destiny, and he doesn't always have the benefit of knowing the whole story. He storms and yells and smashes things because he is upset he was chosen, but he never thinks of quitting. Buffy benefits from Giles being honest with her regarding the prophecy that she will die from the beginning - Dumbledore doesn't tell Harry everything about his purpose (he is much younger than Buffy and Dumbledore doesn't know the whole story from the beginning, but still) until he absolutely has to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. - How sad is it that Willow asks Xander to “practice” on her? I wouldn’t wanna put myself through that emotional torture, if I were here, yet Willow's willing to take it anyway knowing that it’s not even intended for her. My heart hurts a little bit.
    - Favourite moment: Buffy’s slow-motion stake-pulling followed by an almost maniacal victory-grin when she knows she's got him! I actually practiced that on some of my own pretend-patrols as a teen complete with the leather outfit and cap from Season 2's “Becoming”. (I imagine some poor soul out there must have been scared shitless of my “Shining” impression.:P)
    - Buffy coming into the library to find Giles sleep-deprived reinforces again what a lovely father-daughter bond they have. She trusts him entirely and she is both being sweetly concerned and cheeky with him, which is all the more meaningful since it’s being juxtaposed to their later fight in the library with Angel joining in.
    - Oh- oh, flashback: The Xander revelation. What can you say in a situation like that that is not uncomfortable and painful for both? Buffy’s handling it as best she can, while Xander is feeling really angry and hurt. Which leads to Willow getting hurt. *sigh* Love triangles are the hardest. Thank God Xander abandones country music in favour of saving his best friend when the crunch comes and even teams up with Angel in the process. It was genius how Xander could use CPR to revive Buffy, thereby starting his long and charming history of bringing her back to life. The first thing Buffy says is Xander’s name when she wakes up, showing that his friendship is as important and meaningful to her as her love for Angel. It gives him a beautiful validation as a character and makes it clear that, no matter how petty and childish he may behave sometimes, Xander's a friend that Buffy can count on. He'll always stick with Buffy to have her back and save the day. <3
    - This was the climax of Sarah Michelle Gellar's acting so far. She’s playing everything at once – the vulnerability, anger, defiance and devastation of being forced to give up her life at 16 years. “Signs? Read me the signs? Tell me my fortune! You’re so useful sitting here with all your books! You’re really a lot of help!” Even Angel gets an earfull: “I already did. I quit, remember? PAY attention.” Never been prouder of Buffy’s inner warrior and sense of self-preservation. And then she tops it off with this, “Giles, I’m sixteen years old. I don’t wanna die.” One second you are in awe and slightly intimidated of her power, the next you just want to fly through the screen and hug her. It's great how she can flit seamlessly between these emotional states and make us grope for our tissues.
    - How cute is Joyce’s story about how she and Hank met? Talk about a class-act woman! It felt nice to have her there and give Buffy that beautiful angelic dress! The episode wouldn’t have had the same emotional impact without her in it.
    - “You know you really ought to talk to your contractor. Looks like you got some water damage.” That’s not feeble banter, that’s heroically brave stuff to say in the face of imminent death. Take that, Master! Buffy’s punning at the end of the episode when she slays the Master is some of the very best of this episode :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will never be over this episode. I sometimes can't watch it because PAIN but oh my god it's so so great. "I'm 16 years old... I don't want to die" ouch. Brilliant acting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete